[[!comment format=mdwn username="smcv" subject="I'm not so sure that copying metadata is desirable" date="2016-06-09T15:09:30Z" content=""" I'm not so sure that copying metadata around is the right solution to the use case that you outlined. If you do that, then `/doc/v2.0/` and `/doc/` will be indistinguishable anywhere that pages are listed by their metadata - it's as though you'd copied the text content of `doc/v2.0.mdwn` into `doc.mdwn`. For example, if it's tagged `readme`, then a list of pages matching `tagged(readme)` will have two apparently identical entries, one of which is `/doc/` and the other is `/doc/v2.0/`. Why not do this instead? ``` # doc/v2.0.mdwn [[!tag readme]] [[!meta title=\"Foobar documentation, version 2.0\"]] [[!if test=\"doc/* and created_after(.)\" all=\"no\" then=\"\"\"[[!template id=\"note\" text=\"[Newer versions are available|doc]\"]]\"\"\"]] Here is new documentation about Foobar. # doc/v1.0.mdwn [[!tag readme]] [[!meta title=\"Foobar documentation, version 1.0\"]] [[!if test=\"doc/* and created_after(.)\" all=\"no\" then=\"\"\"[[!template id=\"note\" text=\"[Newer versions are available|doc]\"]]\"\"\"]] Here is documentation about Foobar. # doc.mdwn [[!meta title=\"Foobar documentation\"]] [[!inline pages=\"doc/*\" limit=\"1\" sort=\"age\" feeds=\"no\" actions=\"no\" raw=\"yes\"]] Older versions: [[!inline pages=\"doc/*\" skip=\"1\" archive=\"yes\"]] ``` ... or even (with a bit of new code) ``` # doc.mdwn [[!meta redir_first_match=\"doc/*\" sort=\"age\"]] ``` In real life you'd probably want to use a special `[[!template]]` for the link to the latest version, so that it's easier to make them all consistent, but for those examples I'm just using the standard [[templates/note]] and some markup. > this is not my usecase, but it matches exactly Why not ask us about your real use-case, in case it turns out that it *doesn't* match exactly after putting more thought into it? :-) """]]